Tuesday, March 31, 2009

It Happens.




People always, always, always say "it's not what you know, but who you know." I don't have definitive proof, but I would say that the skateboarding industry is THE prime example of this modern proverb. Hollywood may have us beat, but I'm guessing not by much.


Anyway, Fred Gall has always been one of my favorite guys to watch ride a skateboard. Having grown up in West Virginia, I felt like he skated the types of spots we had to skate and I was able to "feel" his skating more than most of the guys I saw in the magazines. Of course, we weren't switch tailsliding Hubba Hideout at 15 years of age, but I digress.


Imagine yourself sitting at a charity volleyball tournament, watching your wife's team play the mayor's team when your phone rings to display a number you've never seen. You answer to find that one of your childhood idols is on the other end of the line and wants to go skateboarding with you. That was my experience meeting Fred Gall for the first time. Apparently he'd gotten my number from Paul Zitzer (another childhood favorite who has, in a weird twist of fate, become a good friend, but that's another story for another time) and was looking for someone to show him around Louisville. Paul had made it sound like I was a good photographer, so Fred and company were looking to shoot some photos as well as looking at spots. Needless to say, I jumped at the chance.


As it turns out, this photo didn't peak the interest of anyone at the major magazines. It could have something to do with the fact that a month after we shot this, Fred had like 3 interviews come out, one with a photo from this same spot. Or it could be that the photo just isn't good. Regardless, I will forever love this photo because it reminds me of the day that a guy that made me want to ride my skateboard called me to do just that. And the only reason he did was because he got my phone number from Paul, who I nervously introduced myself to years earlier. It's funny how life works out.


Freddy Gall::Nosepick::Louisville, KY


3 comments:

sockrider said...

Awesome pic! Thanks for sharing.

ti said...

a story of stoke. love the pic.

rfresh said...

good people gravitate toward one another.