Thursday, August 07, 2008

Manic Pixie Dream Girlz

Thanks to both Jezebel and the Onion A.V. Club for so eloquently unraveling one of the mysteries behind Why Garden State Makes Me Want To Gnaw My Arm Off. And also why, upon my inaugural viewing of Breakfast at Tiffany's this year, I was more irritated than charmed by the über flaky Holly Golightly. (No offense to you fans out there.)

What do both of these films have in common? The Manic Pixie Dream Girl!

I know, what's wrong with me, right? I'm supposed to be charmed by the Garden State's use of realism, sense of humor, and impeccable soundtrack. I'm supposed to relate to Natalie Portman's quirky charm because I'm kind of weird too. I like indie rock too. I have brown hair too!

I'm supposed to be so enamored by Audrey Hepburn's character that I go get my bangs cut. I'm supposed to buy a black and white poster of Miss Golightly's famous mug to hang above my futon, so visitors know I both admire her style and aspire to attain her womanly charms.

I've always felt a bit of mild discomfort, shame even, for expressing any negative opinions of these crowd-pleasing films aloud. Because nine times out of ten, I was alone in my disdain, or didn't have the words to adequately explain it.

But now I see the common denominator! Now this thing has a name, an identity! Now I know I'm not alone in my annoyance towards the MPDGs of the world! Sure, I aspire to be her from time to time. (She's so perfect in her imperfections! So full of life, love, and carpe diem! So...brunette!) But it's still fun to point and laugh sometimes.

1 comment:

rfresh said...

Go drink some hater-aide, you NARD!