Thursday, May 22, 2008

the body electric

I love it when a set of circumstances allows you dig into the recesses of your brain to unearth a burried memory. Not just an I love the 80s style, universal, retro-nostalgia memory. But those weirdly specific and vivid ones that have lain dormant for years.

Better yet is when someone you are with at that moment of spontaneous unearthing knows exactly what you are talking about. It's crippling, and then it's like the universe is giving you a hug.

One of my earliest memories:
Ice skating on the pond at Irvingdale Park? Rudge Memorial? Followed by a Wilkins family basement slumber party. All four Kapler girls were in attendance and we slept in rows of sleeping bags on the floor and watched this SWEET MOVIE about an electric grandma who could shoot milk and orange juice out of her index finger.

No one I asked had any recollection of this movie, and I began to think I had dreamt it up. But NO.

The trusty Interwebs gave me that hug-from-the-universe feeling I craved.

After Googling "robot grandma orange juice finger" I found what I was looking for.
I give you, Ray Bradbury(Yeah. Ray Bradbury!)'s The Electric Grandmother


3 comments:

munsoned said...

Anyone remember that movie about a kid with peanut butter for hair?

nacho_supreme said...

I don't myself, but it's really weird that you would say that because these two movies are mentioned together constantly in "Hey, do you remember..." posts I found in my search...

munsoned said...

Yeah, I think I might have seen that Electric Granny movie once, but the PB movie I saw a couple times. It takes a seriously weird turn toward the end that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the rest of the movie. It almost seemed like they were making it up as they went along.

Ah, yes, gems from the 80s.