Friday, June 06, 2008

kombuch-what?

Cheryl bought a few of these at Red Clover the other day and they're just weird tasting enough that I think I'm gonna get to drink them all. They also sell them at The Mill.
The Synergy version of GT's Kombucha drink has 5% fruit juice and a lot of flavors, but you can get it straight up raw, too.

Ready yourself for a new taste combo — a little sweet, a little vinigar-y, and some chunky byproducts of the fermentation process which uses "a macroscopic solid mass of microorganisms called a 'kombucha colony,' usually consisting principally of Acetobacter-species and yeast cultures." (source: Wikipedia)

Sounds gnarly, right?
Try it out and tell me what you think.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like it!

and if you like kombucha, make sure to track down some of the sour beers that the kids are brewing these days.

yay, fermentation!

highdesertsultan said...

our friend chickie began touting this stuff from the kombucha "wonder drink" company 5 or 6 years ago, that is more efervesant(?spelling) and more palatable with food. We still have a magnet on the fridge that's an old bottle cap because it has a giant KW on the top. I sell two flavors in the restaurant now and it outsells all other bottled sodas I have, and at 2.75 for 12oz.

Also I have worked with a few people who culture their own and make their own drinks. A little too hard core for me, but this is Oregon.

Cheryl said...

I'm only making myself drink the stuff to get rid of the gallstones resting inside me. Supposedly, kombucha tea dissolves them, and does many other wonderful things to help me live a longer, healthier life.

11:11 said...

Ditto on the "wonder drink" . . . It's best.... Just like you fine people.

rfresh said...

It tastes kinda like pee with a hint of sour patch kids soaked in a gin and tonic. What a combo :)