Sunday, May 31, 2009

thoughts in anticipation...



long gravel ride this week. jotted down these thoughts...

Rode my road bike on gravel roads today. This bike’s first ventures onto the gravel were right after I bought it and I’d go hit the MoPac trail. While not exactly a gravel road, it gives you the idea, at least in idea gravel road conditions.

I’ve had the Slim Chance for a long time, since 1996? It hung in the ceiling of CycleWorks as a frame and fork, while I was working there as a wrench. I think Jeff Hansen built it originally. It was sold to a customer who returned it. And eventually, one day I took it home. I rode a lot on it originally. But, as the years went by, the less pavement I rode and the more gravel I rode, and mostly on mountain bikes.

I did an experiment on the Slim a few years back. I single speeded the Slim and ran it with a fixed rear wheel with a Phil hub. I ran both brakes. I wanted to see if it would be fun to build a gravel road fixie. So I did an experiment with the minimal investment of a rear wheel and a different chain ring. I did most of my gravel rides from Lincoln to Omaha, 90% gravel. It was also my first fixie experience, so of course it was fun. But I also learned the bike does just fine on gravel roads of all types.

4 comments:

fob said...

I rolled the last 65 miles of Kanza in the dark over some of the worst roads of the day with a guy on a C'dale road bike with 28c road tires. He had zero flats on the day - and somehow managed not to crash. You'll be fine for the Ponca ride -- use 19c tires at 115 psi...

Anonymous said...

good times... have fun on tuesday. can't wait to hear about it.

Cornbread said...

Have fun Matt! I'm sure the Slim Chance will treat you well.

I'm looking forward to hearing about this ride.

MG said...

good luck... weather should be interesting for a 155 on gravel on a road bike. it'll make for a great story!

happy trails,
mg