Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Twice As Nice



Just home from the second hourish spin in as many days. Keeping it slow, keeping it mellow, and it really feels good to do something rather than nothing. My knee isn't super happy, but it's not super happy off the bike, either. It doesn't like walking up or down stairs, it doesn't like bending super fast or extending super fast. It doesn't like getting bumped. And it doesn't like Mariah Carey or Celine Dion. Can't say I blame it.

I've got ice on the thing now and it's fine and dandy.

Three weeks from skating, I'd guess, and that makes me a little insane, but I'm trying to keep it together. Still have tons to do before the weekend and we're a little past deadline at The Mag. Found out yesterday that my sister Annie will be in Cali the same time as me with nothing to do but fart around. My niece, Adeline, my brother Pat, and his lovely lady Jane all live in Venice, too, so I'm looking forward to some quality time wasting. Couldn't ask for a better crew of time wasters, either. Complete professionals.

I built a couple of those homemade "gel" packs for my knee-icing duties and they're totally killing it right now. Only had one at first and it wouldn't refreeze fast enough for a second or third icing in one day, so I got backup going and the rotation of the two is working perfectly. Thanks, ice bags.

The recipe is a simple one:
Three cups of water
One cup of rubbing alcohol
Two zip lock bags

Pour the stuff into one bag, get the excess air out, and seal the baggy.
Put that baggie inside a second one, get the excess air out, and seal it too.
Put the whole thing in the freezer over night and there you have it. It makes a kind of soft ice pack that forms around any sore spot regardless of its angle or shape. Works as well as any $25 gel pack from the health supply store and it's only 10% of the cost.

Okay, this thing's getting cold as hell. Gotta go.

No comments: