Wednesday, October 15, 2008

WWII photos



Some of you know that I'm a WWII history buff. Recently I started collecting old photos. It's amazing how many original photos you can find on Ebay or other auction sites. Some go for hundreds while other less than a dollar. Each photo captures a moment in time and this is especially true for me with these photos. Note the map and a portrait of Hitler in the background.

I suppose the mystery of what happened to the people in the photos fascinates me. I've contemplated trying to identify the men in the image, but have discarded that as impossible.

This photos humanizes some German soldiers (at least to me). Having some German blood in my veins makes me feel compelled to correct folks when they see a photo like this and quickly refer to it as Nazi. Not all Germans in 1930's and 1940's were Nazis. Just like not all Americans are Republicans or Democrats.



Above is a photo of a German soldier going off to war in WWI. I don't know the exact date of the photo, but suspect is was taken in 1914. This is one of several photos I bought from an estate sale in Germany via the interweb.

Waste of money? No. A very wise investment in history.

No comments: